What To Do With Old New York License Plates
Are you getting rid of an old car or maybe just getting new license plates? Do you know what to do with your old New York license plates? Here are four options to get rid of your old New York plates.
1.) Take Your New York Plates Back To The DMV
- In the state of New York you need to surrender your plates when registering for a car in a new state or if your insurance coverage is ending. You can return your license plate to the DMV in person. Just schedule an appointment or walk in and wait in line.
- You can also mail your old plates to your local DMV licensing office.
- If you get new plates at the DMV after registering your car, ask to leave the old plates with them.
- Make sure to only mail your plates in an envelope (no boxes) and take off all tags and plate accessories.
- You WILL need to complete a PD-7 when surrendering your plates to the DMV.
2.) Sell Your Old License Plates On An Online Marketplace
- If you have older plates or unique New York plates, check to see if your license plates are of higher value.
- Check out eBay, craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace to get the highest bidding for your old plates. License plates can be worth it to sell as artists are always looking for unique plates.
- A physical consignment shop can get you an in person offer and a place to sell your plates.
3.) No Luck Selling? Try Recycling Your Plates
- Reduce your footprint by 95% when you recycle your plates. Big companies are always looking for recycled Aluminum!
- Here are some New York recyclers:
- Most places that accept metal will accept your plates. Just make sure you remove any tags and cut your license plate up to prevent fraudulent use.
- Check out this article to see how you can recycle other car parts.
4.) Make Art And Upcycle Your Old License Plates
- Upcycling can bring creative fulfillment through reusing and repurposing old disposables! Just check out Pinterest to see what you can make from your old New York license plates.
- Sculptures, birdhouses, wall decor, and even journals are a great way to recycle and reuse in your own home.
- Watch out for sharp edges when cutting Aluminum.
Donate Your Car In New York
- Go to our online car donation form or give us a call at 1-855-278-9474 to start your car donation.
- Within 24 hours of the next business day, we'll give you a call to set up your free towing
- Wait for your tax deductible receipt in the mail.
Get rid of a car in the state of New York with ease through Wheels For Wishes!
Free Towing From Anywhere In New York City
Suffolk County, The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Kingsbridge, Staten Island, Brookhaven, Bohemia, Upper West Side, East Hampton, Smithtown, Park Slope, Williamsburg, Bay Ridge, Roosevelt Island, Ridgewood, Astoria, Fordham, Riverdale, New Springville, Huguenot, Carnegie Hill, West Brighton, all of Western New York State, the Long Island portion of NYC, the mainland, any pickup zip code in NYC or any location your vehicle is!
Free Towing In The Rest of New York
Choose A Different State
Here's how you can get rid of license plates in a different state:
Alabama : Alaska : Arizona : Arkansas : California : Colorado : Connecticut : Delaware : District of Columbia : Florida : Georgia : Hawaii : Idaho : Illinois : Indiana : Iowa : Kansas : Kentucky : Louisiana : Maine : Maryland : Massachusetts : Michigan : Minnesota : Mississippi : Missouri : Montana : Nebraska : Nevada : New Hampshire : New Jersey : New Mexico : New York : North Carolina : North Dakota : Ohio : Oklahoma : Oregon : Pennsylvania : Rhode Island : South Carolina : South Dakota : Tennessee : Texas : Utah : Vermont : Virginia : Washington : West Virginia : Wisconsin : Wyoming : Washington D.C.