We're still accepting vehicle donations, but subject to change if necessary. For faster service please use the online form. In light of COVID-19, we are taking all steps necessary for your car donation to take place in a safe manner. See our COVID-19 FAQ page for details.

New York Vehicle Donation Title Questions and Helpful Information

Q:Where do I sign the Title?

A:On the back of the Title please sign in the Seller section where it reads “Seller’s Signature” and next to that where it reads “Seller’s Print Name” only.

New York.jpg Title Example

Q:I paid off my car but there is still a lienholder listed?

The lienholder should have provided a Lien Release or completed the Lien Release section on Title when it was paid off. If a Lien Release is required please contact your financial institution. We will request one if necessary directly from the bank or other financial institution on your behalf but may need a written authorization and copy of your driver’s license.

Q:What do I put down for the Buyer?

A:We prefer it be left blank along with the odometer reading as the processing partner will record the exact reading at time of processing and handle the buyer and dealer license information.

Information that is provided by the processing partner may be put in the buyer section.

Q:Can I still donate if I can’t find my Title?

A:We will still attempt to process your donation without the title, though the process may be a bit more complicated.

How to Obtain a Duplicate Title:

Q:I’m donating the vehicle on behalf of Deceased loved one, what do I need to provide?

A:Option 1 – On a vehicle that has a value of $25,000 or less, ownership transfers to surviving spouse. If there isn’t a surviving spouse or the spouse is disqualified, then ownership transfer’s to owner’s children under the age of 21. This option requires MV349.1 (Affidavit of transfer of motor vehicle), signed title or Notarized PoA, lien release if applicable, and copy of Death Certificate.

Option 2 – On a vehicle that has a value of $15,000 or less, ownership transfers to next of kin if there isn’t a surviving spouse, no children under the age of 21, and no Will or Probate. This option requires MV349 (transfer of vehicle registration in the name of deceased), signed title or Notarized PoA, lien release if applicable, and copy of Death Certificate.

Option 3 – On a vehicle that has a value of greater than $25,000, the vehicle or vehicles become part of the estate. The Executor or Administrator of the estate must transfer the ownership and provide copy of Death Certificate, probate paperwork, Letters of Testamentary, Letters of Administration, or a Voluntary Administrator’s Affidavit.

Q:How do I release the liability and what do I do with my plates?

A:In the state of New York, liability is released when the donor removes the license plates and registration stickers from the vehicle and turns them in to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles.

Q:Will you take a vehicle that has mechanical problems?

A:Vehicles are reviewed and sent to a processing partner, however if we are unable to find a buyer for the vehicle, we will have to unfortunately decline the donation.

*Boats, RV’s, ATV, Campers or industrial equipment are taken on a case by case basis*

Click here to go back to our Title FAQ or call our Title Department at 1-855-492-9474