What To Do With An Old New Jersey License Plate
There are plenty of ways to get rid of your old license plates. Selling, returning, and recycling are just a few options that every New Jersey driver can use whether you are getting rid of your old car in New Jersey or just getting new license plates.
1.) Take Your Expired Plates Back To The DMV
In the state of New Jersey you have a couple options on returning your plates to the DMV.
- Visit the New Jersey motor vehicle agency to surrender your plates.
- If you visit a motor vehicle agency to surrender plates no longer in use, Please deposit plates in the “drop box” outside of the building.
3. Send via mail to: New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 129
Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0129
2.) Sell Your New Jersey Plates Through A Marketplace
- New Jersey plates can be valuable, especially if they are vintage plates!
- eBay, craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace are places you can sell your plates online. There's always someone looking for plates for a project.
- If you'd like an in person transaction, visit a consignment shop to have them sell it for you.
3.) Recycle Your Old License Plates Properly
- Recycle your old plates at these New Jersey recycling centers:
- Most metal recycling centers will accept aluminum license plates. Make sure you chop up your license plates and remove any tags or screws.
- If you are looking to recycle other car parts visit our page here.
4.) Create Something New With Your Old NJ Plates
- Try upcycling and create something brand new with your old New Jersey license plates.
- Pinterest has plenty of ideas like sculptures, birdhouses, and even journals are just a few things you can make with old license plates.
- When cutting up your license plate, watch out for sharp edges!
Donate A Car In New Jersey
Donate your old car in New Jersey to Wheels For Wishes, benefiting Make-A-Wish kids from Newark to Atlantic City!
- Go to our online car donation form or give us a call at 1-855-278-9474 to start your car donation.
- Within 24 hours of the next business day, we'll give you a call to set up your free towing.
- Wait for your tax deductible receipt in the mail.
Helping Make-A-Wish children is as easy as the click of a button!
If you have a New Jersey title problem we can help almost anyone get a new title.
Choose A Different State
Here's how you can get rid of license plates in a different state:
Alabama : Alaska : Arizona : Arkansas : California : Colorado : Connecticut : Delaware : District of Columbia : Florida : Georgia : Hawaii : Idaho : Illinois : Indiana : Iowa : Kansas : Kentucky : Louisiana : Maine : Maryland : Massachusetts : Michigan : Minnesota : Mississippi : Missouri : Montana : Nebraska : Nevada : New Hampshire : New Jersey : New Mexico : New York : North Carolina : North Dakota : Ohio : Oklahoma : Oregon : Pennsylvania : Rhode Island : South Carolina : South Dakota : Tennessee : Texas : Utah : Vermont : Virginia : Washington : West Virginia : Wisconsin : Wyoming : Washington D.C.