4 Things You Can Do With Your Old Texas License Plate
If you are getting a new car, getting rid of an old car, or just getting new license plates, you may be wondering what you should do with your old Texas license plates. Between returning, selling, and recycling there are plenty of options for every Texas driver.
1.) Return The Plates To The DMV
- In the state of Texas you can return your license plate to the DMV in person. Just schedule an appointment or walk in and wait in line.
- You can also mail your old plates to your local DMV licensing office.
- If you got new plates after registering your car, ask to leave the old plates with them.
2.) You Can Sell Your Plates
- Check to see if your Texas license plate is a collectors edition. Vintage, rare, and even slightly different plates can be highly valued and sought after.
- Go to an online marketplace like eBay, craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace to sell your plates. Artists and collectors are always looking for license plates for their projects.
- You can even take then to a consignment shop or a second hand store to see what your plates are really worth!
3.) If You Can't Sell Them, Recycle Your Old License Plates
- Recycle your old plates at an aluminum recycling center. Aluminum is always in demand and manufacturers that want to cut down on carbon pollution can decrease their footprint by 95% just by using recycled aluminum.
- You can also recycle your license plates at any recycling center that accepts metal. Make sure you cut up your license plate or destroying it to prevent any fraudulent use of your plates. You'll have to sort things out with the police if your stolen plates are on someone else's vehicle.
- See how you can recycle other car parts.
4.) Try To Upcycle Your Texas Plates
- Upcycling is an easy way to reuse your own materials to make a practical and artistic item. Pinterest has hundreds of projects that you can make from your old Texas license plates.
- Sculptures, birdhouses, wall decor, and even journals are a great way to recycle and reuse in your own home.
- Be careful of the sharp edges when crafting with your license plates.
Donate A Car In Texas
Disposing of your plates because you're getting rid of a vehicle in Texas? Try donating your car in Texas to Wheels For Wishes, benefiting Make-A-Wish kids in Texas.
- Go to our online car donation form or give us a call at 1-855-278-9474 to start your car donation.
- Within 24 hours of the next business day, we'll give you a call to set up your free towing
- Wait for your tax deductible receipt in the mail.
Get rid of a car in the state of Texas with ease through Wheels For Wishes!
Getting rid of a car without a title? No problem! Let us help you with any Texas title problem you might have. We can help almost anyone get a new title.
Choose A Different State
Here's how you can get rid of license plates in a different state:
Alabama : Alaska : Arizona : Arkansas : California : Colorado : Connecticut : Delaware : District of Columbia : Florida : Georgia : Hawaii : Idaho : Illinois : Indiana : Iowa : Kansas : Kentucky : Louisiana : Maine : Maryland : Massachusetts : Michigan : Minnesota : Mississippi : Missouri : Montana : Nebraska : Nevada : New Hampshire : New Jersey : New Mexico : New York : North Carolina : North Dakota : Ohio : Oklahoma : Oregon : Pennsylvania : Rhode Island : South Carolina : South Dakota : Tennessee : Texas : Utah : Vermont : Virginia : Washington : West Virginia : Wisconsin : Wyoming : Washington D.C.