How To Get Rid Of Old License Plates In Virginia
If you are getting rid of your license plates in Virginia there are a few things you should know before you get started.
1.) Surrender Your Plates With The Virginia DMV
In the state of Virginia you'll need to surrender your plates or destroy them accordingly:
- Make your Virginia plates unusable by bending them, removing and destroying the stickers, and/or recycling them.
- Visit the DMV's Online Plate Surrender to officially surrender your plates.
- Surrender them in person to your local Virginia DMV office.
2.) Sell Your Old Virginia Plates
- Make sure you remove and destroy your registration stickers before you sell your old Virginia license plates.
- Virginia plates can be worth something, especially if they are collector's editions.
- Visiting craigslist, eBay, or Facebook are just a few places you can sell your plates online. There's always someone looking for plates for an creative project.
- If you'd like an in person transaction, try a consignment shop to have them sell it for you. You can even sell your car on consignment while you're at it.
3.) Try Recycling Your Old License Plates
- Recycle your old plates at these Virginia recycling centers:
- Make sure you chop up your license plates and remove any tags or screws. Most metal recycling centers will accept aluminum license plates.
- See here how you can recycle other car parts.
4.) Upcycle Your Virginia Plates
- When cutting up your license plate, watch out for sharp edges!
- Create something new by upcycling your old Virginia license plates.
- Pinterest has some great ideas like sculptures, birdhouses, and even journals are just a few things you can make with old license plates.
Donate Your Old Car In Virginia
- Go to our online car donation form or give us a call at to 1-855-278-9474 start your car donation.
- Within 24 hours of the next business day, we'll give you a call to set up your free towing.
- Wait for your tax deductible receipt in the mail.
Helping Make-A-Wish children is as easy as the click of a button!
Choose A Different State
Here's how you can get rid of license plates in a different state:
Alabama : Alaska : Arizona : Arkansas : California : Colorado : Connecticut : Delaware : District of Columbia : Florida : Georgia : Hawaii : Idaho : Illinois : Indiana : Iowa : Kansas : Kentucky : Louisiana : Maine : Maryland : Massachusetts : Michigan : Minnesota : Mississippi : Missouri : Montana : Nebraska : Nevada : New Hampshire : New Jersey : New Mexico : New York : North Carolina : North Dakota : Ohio : Oklahoma : Oregon : Pennsylvania : Rhode Island : South Carolina : South Dakota : Tennessee : Texas : Utah : Vermont : Virginia : Washington : West Virginia : Wisconsin : Wyoming : Washington D.C.