Tips On What To Do With Your Old Washington D.C. License Plates
Getting rid of your old car in Washington D.C.? There are plenty of ways to get rid of your old license plates. Selling, returning, and recycling are just a few options that every Washington D.C. driver can use.
1.) Send Them Back To The D.C. DMV
- You must cancel your Washington D.C. registration or surrender your plates. Here are some of the scenarios in which you will need to cancel your tags or surrender your plates:
- If you move out of Washington D.C.
- If you sell your car or donate it to charity.
- If you lost a registration tag.
- If you need to cancel your vehicle registration.
- If you change your type of vehicle tags.
- If you need new tags due to worn out registration tags.
- Visit the DMV in person or schedule an appointment to bring them back.
- If you don't want to go wait in line at the DMV mail your old plates to the DMV licensing office.
2.) Sell Your Washington D.C. Plates
- You could have valuable Washington D.C. plates, especially if they are vintage or collector's editions.
- Take a look at eBay, craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace to see how much your plate type is going for.
- If you'd like an in person transaction, visit a consignment shop to have them sell it for you.
3.) Drop Off Your D.C. License Plates At A Recycling Center
- Contact your curbside recycling to see if they accept license plates.
- Most metal recycling centers will accept aluminum license plates. Make sure you chop up your license plates and remove any tags or screws.
- Recycle your old plates at these Washington D.C. recycling centers:
- See here how you can recycle other car parts.
4.) Make Something Creative With Your Washington D.C. Plates
- Try upcycling and create something brand new with your old Washington D.C. license plates.
- Pinterest has plenty of ideas like sculptures, birdhouses, and even journals are just a few things you can make with old license plates.
- When cutting up your license plate, watch out for sharp edges!
Donate Any Old Car In Washington D.C.
- Go to our online car donation form or give us a call at 1-855-278-9474 to start your car donation.
- Within 24 hours of the next business day, we'll give you a call to set up your free towing
- Wait for your tax deductible receipt in the mail.
Helping Make-A-Wish children is as easy as the click of a button!
Choose A Different State
Here's how you can get rid of license plates in a different state:
Alabama : Alaska : Arizona : Arkansas : California : Colorado : Connecticut : Delaware : District of Columbia : Florida : Georgia : Hawaii : Idaho : Illinois : Indiana : Iowa : Kansas : Kentucky : Louisiana : Maine : Maryland : Massachusetts : Michigan : Minnesota : Mississippi : Missouri : Montana : Nebraska : Nevada : New Hampshire : New Jersey : New Mexico : New York : North Carolina : North Dakota : Ohio : Oklahoma : Oregon : Pennsylvania : Rhode Island : South Carolina : South Dakota : Tennessee : Texas : Utah : Vermont : Virginia : Washington : West Virginia : Wisconsin : Wyoming : Washington D.C.