What You Can Do With Your Old Washington State License Plate
There are quite a few ways to get rid of your old license plates if you're getting rid of your old car in Washington State. Selling, returning, and recycling are just a few options that every Washington State driver can use.
1.) Mail Them Back To The Washington State DMV
In the state of Washington State there is typically no need to surrender your plates. If you want to return them to the Washington State DMV, you can do that one of the following ways:
- Physically bring them to your local licensing office.
- Mail them here:
Department of Licensing
1125 Washington St SE
Olympia, WA 98504
2.) Sell Your Old Plates Online
- You could have valuable plates if they are vintage or collector's plates.
- Find out how much you could get for your plates on eBay, craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace. There's always someone looking for plates for an art project.
- If you're looking to offload the selling work bring them to a consignment shop and have them sell it for you.
3.) Recycle Your Old License Plates Responsibly
- In the State of Washington, do not recycle curbside unless you call them first.
- Take off all registration tags.
- Recycle your old plates at these Washington State recycling centers:
- Most metal recycling centers will accept aluminum license plates. Make sure you chop up your license plates and remove any tags or screws.
- See here how you can recycle other car parts.
4.) Get Creative With Your Washington State Plates
- Try upcycling and create something brand new with your old Washington State license plates.
- Pinterest has plenty of ideas like sculptures, birdhouses, and even journals are just a few things you can make with old license plates.
- When cutting up your license plate, watch out for sharp edges!
Donate Your Old Car In Washington State
- Go to our online car donation form or give us a call at 1-855-278-9474 to start your car donation.
- Within 24 hours of the next business day, we'll give you a call to set up your free towing
- Wait for your tax deductible receipt in the mail.
Helping Make-A-Wish children is as easy as the click of a button!
Choose A Different State
Here's how you can get rid of license plates in a different state:
Alabama : Alaska : Arizona : Arkansas : California : Colorado : Connecticut : Delaware : District of Columbia : Florida : Georgia : Hawaii : Idaho : Illinois : Indiana : Iowa : Kansas : Kentucky : Louisiana : Maine : Maryland : Massachusetts : Michigan : Minnesota : Mississippi : Missouri : Montana : Nebraska : Nevada : New Hampshire : New Jersey : New Mexico : New York : North Carolina : North Dakota : Ohio : Oklahoma : Oregon : Pennsylvania : Rhode Island : South Carolina : South Dakota : Tennessee : Texas : Utah : Vermont : Virginia : Washington : West Virginia : Wisconsin : Wyoming : Washington D.C.