We're still accepting vehicle donations, but subject to change if necessary.
See our COVID-19 FAQ

New Jersey Vehicle Donation Title Questions and Helpful Information

Q:Where do I sign the Title?

A:On the back of the Title please sign in the Seller Signature section where it reads “Seller’s Name (Hand Print)” and under that where it reads “Seller’s Signature” only.

New Jersey Title Example

Q:I paid off my car but there is still a lienholder listed?

The lienholder should have provided a Lien Release or completed the Lien Release section on Title when it was paid off. If a Lien Release is required please contact your financial institution. We will request one if necessary directly from the bank or other financial institution on your behalf but may need a written authorization and copy of your driver’s license.

Q:What do I put down for the Buyer?

A:We prefer it be left blank along with the odometer reading as the processing partner will record the exact reading at time of processing and handle the buyer and dealer license information.

Information that is provided by the processing partner may be put in the buyer section.

Q:Can I still donate if I can’t find my Title?

A:We will still attempt to process your donation without the title, though the process may be a bit more complicated.

Duplicate Title Form:

Q:I’m donating the vehicle on behalf of Deceased loved one, what do I need to provide?

A:Copy of Death Certificate.

Affidavit of Surviving Spouse (notarized) (only used for joint ownership) or paper work from the Surrogate Court bearing the raised court seal. The appointee must sign the title or provide notarized PoA. If joint ownership on title, the notarized PoA must be signed or title must be signed as seller.

The donor should NOT expect this paperwork to be returned to them.

Q:How do I release the liability and what do I do with my plates?

A:In the state of New Jersey there is no release of liability form, and due to this the donor has to remove New Jersey plates from the vehicle and surrender them to the MVC for cancellation. Plates may be returned by mail or surrendered in person. If plates are surrendered by mail, a self-addressed stamped envelope should be included if the donor would like a receipt.

Q:Will you take a vehicle that has mechanical problems?

A:Vehicles are reviewed and sent to a processing partner, however if we are unable to find a buyer for the vehicle, we will have to unfortunately decline the donation.

*Boats, RV’s, ATV, Campers or industrial equipment are taken on a case by case basis*

Click here to go back to our Title FAQ or call our Title Department at 1-855-492-9474