4 Fun Road Trips Starting In San Francisco, California
San Francisco is an amazing central hub for travel. It’s surrounded by awesome cities and parks within the region with so much nature and history to see. Here are four fun road trips starting in San Francisco:
1. San Francisco To Half Moon Bay For The Festival
Half Moon Bay hosts a pumpkin festival in October each year. That’s when we recommend taking the 45 minute road trip from San Francisco to Half Moon Bay.
Here’s some of the things you can expect to see and experience on your trip:
- Charming towns on along the way.
- Highway 1 is a scenic drive that twists and turns along the coastline.
- Francis Beach is a nice place to stop and take a break. Perhaps have a picnic with a family. After, there’s about 25 minutes left of driving.
- Enjoy the Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Festival in October! This festival is a happy place to be and well worth the road trip from San Francisco.
2. San Francisco To Bolinas, California Day Trip
Bolinas, California is a great day trip destination from San Francisco. It features walkways down to the beach that feel like they’re directly from a movie. It takes about an hour to get from San Francisco to Bolinas.
Here’s some of the highlights you could have on this day trip:
- Route 1 takes you through Muir Woods.
- There are lots of hidden beach locations worth researching and exploring.
- Alamere Falls lead straight into the sea.
- It’s a great place to experience unique beach views and go for a swim!
3. San Francisco To Portland, Oregon Road Trip
Are you traveling from San Francisco to Oregon on a road trip? We’re here to guide you on a scenic road trip. There are so many amazing stops on the way from northern California to Portland, Oregon.
A direct road trip from San Francisco to Portland, Oregon takes about 10 hours. It has some great views along the way. Here are some of the best sites, stops and activities you can do on your way from San Francisco to Portland:
- Drive through wine country: Napa Valley and Sonoma are two amazing sides of wine country. Ride through on your way to experience some of the best wineries in the country!
- Stop in Eureka! Eureka is home to historical Victorian homes and the beautiful view of Humboldt Bay. It’s a great place to stop after a day of driving.
- Experience the nature of Mount Shasta: This gorgeous town is just miles away from a volcano top! There are lots of national parks nearby to visit and yearlong outdoor activities.
- See the magnificent views of the Columbia River Gorge: You can hike or bike through gorge and see the legendary Multnomah Falls!
4. Historical Trip From San Francisco To San Juan Bautista, California
The Mission San Juan Bautista makes this whole 1 hour 40 minutes trip worthwhile. This historical road trip from San Francisco to San Juan Bautista is one for those who want to learn more about California history.
Here’s what you’ll see on the trip:
- San Juan Bautista Mission: this historical site has been running as a mission since 1812.
- A full town that has barely changed since the 1800s architecturally: Get a glimpse into California’s past!
Give Back To San Francisco With Car Donation
After you take your amazing road trip, you might consider what you can do to give back to the bay area. An awesome, convenient option is car donation with Wheels For Wishes! We benefit Make-A-Wish Great Bay Area, helping to grant wishes to local kids facing critical illness. If you're looking to give back, Wheels For Wishes is a no brainer for making a huge impact on local children.
Car donation to Wheels For Wishes is easy and it comes with perks! We come to you with free towing, and you get a great tax deduction. Donate now by calling 1-855-278-9474 or fill out our online donation form.