Zero Waste Lifestyle: Benefits And How To Start
Are you environmentally conscious? Are you looking for ways to reduce your carbon footprint? One of the best ways you can life sustainably is by going zero waste.
What Is A Zero Waste Lifestyle?
According to the EPA, Zero Waste is defined as: The conservation of all resources by means of responsible production, consumption, reuse, and recovery of products, packaging, and materials without burning and with no discharges to land, water, or air that threaten the environment or human health.
In simple terms, you should have no use for a trash can in a zero waste lifestyle. You won’t be purchasing items with single-use plastic packaging. You won’t throw away food—you will compost it instead. When something you own stops working, you find the proper way to dispose of it.
Benefits Of Living Zero Waste
Living zero waste is for everyone! Plus, it positively impacts everyone! A zero waste lifestyle is very attainable. However, it can seem intimidating. The following benefits make zero waste living worthwhile:
- Reusing, reducing, and recycling create 10 times more jobs than disposal
- It takes 20 times less energy to make an aluminum can from recycled versus raw materials
- $31 billion worth of food is wasted every year. This can be redistributed to compost, food shelters, and more.
- Save money! Buying zero waste can drastically change how you shop. This typically results in buying higher quality products that last longer. You’ll also save by purchasing quality second-hand items. Plus, you’ll try to fix or repurpose things you already have. You’ll find your new outlook will save you a lot of money on unnecessary expenses.
- Reduce localized pollution
- Reduce waste in landfills
- Reduce toxic chemicals in your home
- Conserves natural resources
- Reduces global warming: 42 percent of greenhouse gas emissions are caused by producing goods.
- You won’t have to take out the trash!
How To Start A Zero Waste Lifestyle
By definition, living zero waste can seem overwhelming. However, if you take it step by step, you’ll find it is just as attainable as how you currently live. Here’s how you can get started living zero waste:
Zero Waste Shopping
- Use tote bags or laundry baskets to carry your items
- Bring reusable sacks for produce. Do not use the plastic bags at the grocery store.
- Plan your groceries beforehand with no single-use plastic in mind.
- Bring jars for bulk items such as oats, beans, nuts, cereal, rice, etc.
- Find a grocery store that accommodates your zero waste shopping needs. Look for produce without plastic, recyclable packaging, bulk section, and environmentally friendly cleaning supplies with reusable bottles, etc.
- Buy reusable dryer balls instead of dryer sheets.
- Buy fully compostable toothbrushes instead of disposable ones. Bamboo brushes work great!
- Buy lifetime razors rather than ones with disposable parts.
- There are great options for reusable feminine care products. Research those before purchasing disposable ones.
- Only buy cleaning products with reusable bottles or in bulk.
Zero Waste At Home
- Compost all food waste. You can get a small compost bin for your countertop or under the sink. If you have room in the back yard, you can get a compost tumbler. These give you great compost to use in your garden.
- Plant a garden! Using your compost as fuel, you can grow some of your own herbs and vegetables.
- Make a point of throwing nothing in the trash. Everything you purchase should be able to reuse, recycle, or compost. If you find yourself throwing something away, don’t sweat it! Make note of it. You can plan how to avoid waste in the future.
- Upcycle unwanted items. Turn items you no longer need into something more valuable by rethinking them. This could be as simple as dying a peanut butter jar and turning it into a vase.
- Donate your old or unwanted car to Wheels For Wishes. Donating your car results in reuse, reduce, and/or recycling! First of all, the donation provides funds for your local Make-A-Wish chapter. This helps children facing critical illness to live their greatest wish! Your vehicle is either sold at auction (reused), or recycled. If recycled, the parts are used to reduce the energy needed to make vehicles from raw materials. Ultimately car donation is zero waste, environmentally friendly, and socially impactful!
Car Donation To Wheels For Wishes Is Zero Waste
Donate your car to Wheels For Wishes today! Car donation is a zero waste way to get rid of an old or unwanted vehicle. Plus, it benefits kids with a life-changing wish! On top of that, we come to you with free towing and you get a great tax deduction.
Here’s how you can donate your car today:
- Call us at 1-855-278-9474 or fill out an online donation form.
- We will contact you within 24 hours of the next business day to set up your free towing.
- After your donation is complete, we will send your tax deductible receipt in the mail.
Start your zero waste lifestyle with car donation today!