Six Ways To Give Back To A Senior Citizen Today
National Senior Citizens Day has been celebrated on Aug. 21 since 1988, when President Ronald Reagan declared it to be a national observance. The day is all about raising awareness for the economic, social, and health issues that affect seniors. It is also a great day to recognize the lifetime achievements of older adults and their contributions to their communities and society. In honor of this national observance, we’ve compiled a list of six great ways for you to give back to a senior citizen today.
- Take a senior out to lunch for their favorite food, or offer to cook for them at home. This might be a great time to ask a senior about their life or their favorite childhood memories. Taking the time to listen to stories will make them feel special, and you will also learn more about the past.
- Offer to help a senior with chores around the house such as cleaning hard-to-access areas, painting the walls, mowing the lawn, or helping in the garden. The best way to do this might be to find ways for them to help you out with the task so they feel needed too.
- Say “thank you” to the seniors who have made a positive impact on your life. Sending a card or calling can be a nice reminder that you are thinking of them. Better yet, stop by their house to thank them in person!
- Find a way to make seniors feel included. Many older people don’t get as much respect as they deserve, and sometimes older adults’ opinions are viewed as irrelevant or outdated. You can show your respect for older people by asking for and listening to their opinion, whether it be about something simple or complicated.
- Help a senior get involved. Seniors like to feel important, but sometimes that’s difficult if they no longer go to work or have lost connection with their community. One of the best ways to honor a senior’s lifetime achievements may be to help them get involved in a cause, club or activity that is important to them and that allows them to be an important part of the community.
- Donate your unwanted vehicle in honor of a senior who has positively impacted your life. A great way to honor a senior’s contributions to their community could be to let them know that you are giving back to kids in your community by donating your car to Wheels For Wishes.
How will you be celebrating the day with the seniors in your life? Do you know a senior citizen who is making a positive impact on their community? We would love to hear your ideas and stories on our Facebook, Twitter or Google+ page!
How To Donate A Car On Senior Citizens Day
Senior Citizens Day is all about honoring seniors’ lives and giving back to the seniors in your community. It you want to give back to your community by making a vehicle donation to Wheels For Wishes, simply call 1-877-431-9474 or fill out our car donation form. Our hassle free car donation program provides a great tax deduction and offers free pick-up. Best of all, a car donation through Wheels For Wishes benefits your local chapter of Make-A-Wish, helping them to grant wishes for children who have critical illnesses.