Wheels For Wishes Home

Ohio Vehicle Donation Title Questions and Helpful Information

Click here to donate a car in Ohio, benefiting Make-A-Wish kids!

Q:Where do I sign the Title?

A:On the back of the Title please sign in the Seller section where it reads “Seller’s Print Name” and next to that where it reads “Seller’s Signature” only. Please be aware that an Ohio Title does have to get notarized by a Notary before signing and presenting the Title to our tow facility.

Ohio Title Example

Q:I paid off my car but there is still a lienholder listed?

The lienholder should have provided a Lien Release or completed the Lien Release section on Title when it was paid off. If a Lien Release is required please contact your financial institution. We will request one if necessary directly from the bank or other financial institution on your behalf but may need a written authorization and copy of your driver’s license.

Q:What do I put down for the Buyer?

A:We prefer it be left blank along with the odometer reading as the processing partner will record the exact reading at time of processing and handle the buyer and dealer license information.

Information that is provided by the processing partner may be put in the buyer section.

Q:Can I still donate if I can’t find my Title?

A:We will still attempt to process your donation without the title, though the process may be a bit more complicated.

How to Obtain a Duplicate Title:

Q:I’m donating the vehicle on behalf of Deceased loved one, what do I need to provide?

A:Joint Tenants with Right of Survivorship (JTWROS) – if one (1) owner is deceased, the survivor must sign the title and provide a copy of the Death Certificate.

If Tenancy in Common without survivorship clause and title ownership does not state “and/or,” then survivor must; sign the title, provide a copy of the Death Certificate, and the executorship paperwork must be signed by a probate judge or a notarized “Clerk of Courts Affidavit” is needed. A Clerk of Courts Affidavit may only be used if no probate or Will exists, and the estate is less than $40,000.

If sole owner is deceased, then acting executor may sign the title, provide copy of Death Certificate, and executorship paperwork must be signed by a probate judge.

Q:How do I release the liability and what do I do with my plates?

A:In the state of Ohio, liability is released from a vehicle after completing the Customer Request to Cancel Vehicle Registration (Form# BMV4311) either online or in person through Ohio Public Safety. Please know that this form does have to be notarized. Also, with completing this form, the donor must remove their Ohio license plates before the vehicle is picked up, and the form will give more information on what to do with the plates.

Q:Will you take a vehicle that has mechanical problems?

A:Vehicles are reviewed and sent to a processing partner, however if we are unable to find a buyer for the vehicle, we will have to unfortunately decline the donation.

*Boats, RV’s, ATV, Campers or industrial equipment are taken on a case by case basis*

Click here to go back to our Title FAQ or call our Title Department at 1-855-492-9474

Check out our guide for all 50 states on if you can donate your car with no title.

Excellent 9.3 out of 10
CDF also runs the following programs:
Wheels for Wishes benefiting Make-A-Wish®, Wheels for Wishes & Wellness benefiting local children's hospitals and charities, Vehicles for Veterans benefiting disabled veterans, and Animal Car Donation benefiting animal rescue organizations.

Read More
CDF's mission is to help these benefitting charities fulfill their missions with proceeds from CDF's car donation programs. CDF and all benefitting charities are separate and unaffiliated 501c organizations.
© 2009 - 2024 Wheels For Wishes (Car Donation Foundation)
A federally registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization