Wheels For Wishes Home

Illinois Vehicle Donation Title Questions and Helpful Information

Click here to donate a car in Illinois, benefiting Make-A-Wish kids!

Q:Where do I sign the Title?

A:On the front of the Title please sign where it reads “of Seller(s) and below that Printed names of Seller(s). Here is a Title that “John Doe” filled out for example.

Illinois Title Example

Q:I paid off my car but there is still a lienholder listed?

The lienholder should have provided a Lien Release or completed the Lien Release section on Title when it was paid off. If a Lien Release is required please contact your financial institution. We will request one if necessary directly from the bank or other financial institution on your behalf but may need a written authorization and copy of your driver’s license.

Q:What do I put down for the Buyer?

A:We prefer it be left blank along with the odometer reading as the processing partner will record the exact reading at time of processing and handle the buyer and dealer license information.

Information that is provided by the processing partner may be put in the buyer section.

Q:Can I still donate if I can’t find my Title?

A:We will still attempt to process your donation without the title, though the process may be a bit more complicated.

Read Here to Obtain A Replacement Title:

Q:I’m donating the vehicle on behalf of Deceased loved one, what do I need to provide?

A:If you have joint ownership with the deceased individual then we need a copy of the Death Certificate and for you to sign the Title.

If only one owner is listed on the Title and he or she is deceased, we would need a copy of the Death Certificate with executorships paperwork. Otherwise we would need or an original Small Estate Affidavit that can be used if the estate is not probated and is valued under $100,000. Affiant/Executor must sign the Title.

More Information on Deceased Title:

Q:How do I release the liability and what do I do with my plates?

A:Illinois license plates should be removed and remain with the donor in order to protect the donor from future liability. The donor should contact their DMV to determine whether the plates need to be returned or whether they can be recycled. Also, the owner will need to complete a Seller’s Notice of Sale to release interest in their vehicle that is titled and/or registered in the State of Illinois. This form must be completed and mailed within 10 days to the Secretary of State Vehicle Services Department to ensure that your responsibility for the vehicle is released. The form is normally connected to the Title, if it is not you may do it online by searching Illinois Form VSD703 on https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/.

Seller’s Notice of Sale Form (Print & Mail):

Q:Will you take a vehicle that has mechanical problems?

A:Vehicles are reviewed and sent to a processing partner, however if we are unable to find a buyer for the vehicle, we will have to unfortunately decline the donation.

*Boats, RV’s, ATV, Campers or industrial equipment are taken on a case by case basis*

Click here to go back to our Title FAQ or call our Title Department at 1-855-492-9474

Check out our guide for all 50 states on if you can donate your car with no title.

Excellent 9.3 out of 10
CDF also runs the following programs:
Wheels for Wishes benefiting Make-A-Wish®, Wheels for Wishes & Wellness benefiting local children's hospitals and charities, Vehicles for Veterans benefiting disabled veterans, and Animal Car Donation benefiting animal rescue organizations.

Read More
CDF's mission is to help these benefitting charities fulfill their missions with proceeds from CDF's car donation programs. CDF and all benefitting charities are separate and unaffiliated 501c organizations.
© 2009 - 2024 Wheels For Wishes (Car Donation Foundation)
A federally registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization