Wheels For Wishes Home

New Mexico Vehicle Donation Title Questions and Helpful Information

Click here to donate a car in New Mexico, benefiting Make-A-Wish kids!

Q:Where do I sign the Title?

A:On the back of the Title please sign where it reads name of Seller Print and “Signature of Seller(s).

New Mexico Title Example

Q:I paid off my car but there is still a lienholder listed?

The lienholder should have provided a Lien Release or completed the Lien Release section on Title when it was paid off. If a Lien Release is required please contact your financial institution. We will request one if necessary directly from the bank or other financial institution on your behalf but may need a written authorization and copy of your driver’s license.

Q:What do I put down for the Buyer?

A:We prefer it be left blank along with the odometer reading as the processing partner will record the exact reading at time of processing and handle the buyer and dealer license information.

Information that is provided by the processing partner may be put in the buyer section.

Q:Can I still donate if I can’t find my Title?

A:We will still attempt to process your donation without the title, though the process may be a bit more complicated.

Duplicate Title Form:

Q:I’m donating the vehicle on behalf of Deceased loved one, what do I need to provide?

A:If Joint ownership designated as “or” between owners’ names, then survivor signs title and a copy of the Death Certificate is needed to process title.

If Joint ownership designated as “or” between owners’ names, a Certificate of Transfer Surviving Spouse MVD 10011 – must be signed by; Executor, Admin, Receiver, Trustee, Sheriff or other representative of successor.

The state will not accept foreign transfer without probate documents (copy of death certificate and affidavit of claim successor MVD10013.)

Q:How do I release the liability and what do I do with my plates?

A:In the state of New Mexico liability is released when the donor completes a Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification through the New Mexico MVD. When a New Mexico-titled vehicle is sold or traded in, the seller needs to notify the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division. By completing the Notice of Vehicle Sold the donor is notifying the state that he or she has sold or otherwise transferred/assigned the vehicle and that it is no longer in their possession. When the donor submits the form to the Motor Vehicle Division, the department will update their records to show the vehicle as sold. This form can protect the donor if the buyer fails to promptly transfer the title. Also, the donor will have to remove New Mexico license plates from the vehicle prior to donation. License plates are required to be returned to the New Mexico MVD to be destroyed within 30 days. License plates may be transferred to another owned vehicle by contacting the MVD.

Q:Will you take a vehicle that has mechanical problems?

A:Vehicles are reviewed and sent to a processing partner, however if we are unable to find a buyer for the vehicle, we will have to unfortunately decline the donation.

*Boats, RV’s, ATV, Campers or industrial equipment are taken on a case by case basis*

Click here to go back to our Title FAQ or call our Title Department at 1-855-492-9474

Check out our guide for all 50 states on if you can donate your car with no title.

Excellent 9.3 out of 10
CDF also runs the following programs:
Wheels for Wishes benefiting Make-A-Wish®, Wheels for Wishes & Wellness benefiting local children's hospitals and charities, Vehicles for Veterans benefiting disabled veterans, and Animal Car Donation benefiting animal rescue organizations.

Read More
CDF's mission is to help these benefitting charities fulfill their missions with proceeds from CDF's car donation programs. CDF and all benefitting charities are separate and unaffiliated 501c organizations.
© 2009 - 2024 Wheels For Wishes (Car Donation Foundation)
A federally registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization