Wheels For Wishes Home

Minnesota Vehicle Donation Title Questions and Helpful Information

Q:Where do I sign the Title?

A:On the front of the Title please sign where it reads “Signature of Seller(s)” and below that “Printed names of Seller(s).”

Minnesota Title Example

Q:I paid off my car but there is still a lienholder listed?

The lienholder should have provided a Lien Release or completed the Lien Release section on Title when it was paid off. If a Lien Release is required please contact your financial institution. We will request one if necessary directly from the bank or other financial institution on your behalf but may need a written authorization and copy of your driver’s license.

Q:What do I put down for the Buyer?

A:We prefer it be left blank along with the odometer reading as the processing partner will record the exact reading at time of processing and handle the buyer and dealer license information.

Information that is provided by the processing partner may be put in the buyer section.

Q:Can I still donate if I can’t find my Title?

A:We will still attempt to process your donation without the title, though the process may be a bit more complicated.

Duplicate Title Form & Info:

Q:I’m donating the vehicle on behalf of Deceased loved one, what do I need to provide?

A:There are different options depending on the situation for donating a vehicle on behalf of deceased loved one.

Option 1: Requires two (2) signatures on the Title for any Title and / or surviving spouse / kin signs as both owner and self and Survival of Spouse form “OR” requires two signatures and a copy of the Death Certificate.

Option 2: If “AND” or no conjunction, Title is considered Tenancy in Common, survivor signs Title as owner and self, copy of Death Certificate and MN DMV form PS2071 (Assignment of Vehicle to Surviving Spouse/Not Subject to Probate).

Option 3: If there was a single owner, then it requires a signature, form PS2071 and a Death Certificate.

Option 4: If in probate, we need a certified copy of the court papers, Title signed by the executor and a copy of the Death Certificate.

Q:How do I release the liability and what do I do with my plates?

A:If the vehicle is registered in Minnesota, the donor will have to complete a Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification called the Sellers Notice of Sale, which will notify the Minnesota Department of Public Safety that you have sold, transferred, or assigned the vehicle elsewhere and that it is no longer in your possession. When you submit the form, the DPS will update the vehicle record to show the vehicle as sold. This form can protect you if the buyer fails to promptly transfer the Title.

Also, Minnesota license plates are not required to be removed from vehicles but it is recommended. If license plates are removed; they should be destroyed or returned to the Department of Public Safety.

Q:Will you take a vehicle that has mechanical problems?

A:Vehicles are reviewed and sent to a processing partner, however if we are unable to find a buyer for the vehicle, we will have to unfortunately decline the donation.

*Boats, RV’s, ATV, Campers or industrial equipment are taken on a case by case basis*

Click here to go back to our Title FAQ or call our Title Department at 1-855-492-9474

Check out our guide for all 50 states on if you can donate your car with no title.

Excellent 9.3 out of 10
CDF also runs the following programs:
Wheels for Wishes benefiting Make-A-Wish®, Wheels for Wishes & Wellness benefiting local children's hospitals and charities, Vehicles for Veterans benefiting disabled veterans, and Animal Car Donation benefiting animal rescue organizations.

Read More
CDF's mission is to help these benefitting charities fulfill their missions with proceeds from CDF's car donation programs. CDF and all benefitting charities are separate and unaffiliated 501c organizations.
© 2009 - 2024 Wheels For Wishes (Car Donation Foundation)
A federally registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization