Wheels For Wishes Home

Michigan Vehicle Donation Title Questions and Helpful Information

Q:Where do I sign the Title?

A:On the front of the Title please sign where it reads “Signature of Seller(s)” and next to that “Printed names of Seller(s).”

Michigan Title Example

Q:I paid off my car but there is still a lienholder listed?

The lienholder should have provided a Lien Release or completed the Lien Release section on Title when it was paid off. If a Lien Release is required please contact your financial institution. We will request one if necessary directly from the bank or other financial institution on your behalf but may need a written authorization and copy of your driver’s license.

Q:What do I put down for the Buyer?

A:We prefer it be left blank along with the odometer reading as the processing partner will record the exact reading at time of processing and handle the buyer and dealer license information.

Information that is provided by the processing partner may be put in the buyer section.

Q:Can I still donate if I can’t find my Title?

A:We will still attempt to process your donation without the title, though the process may be a bit more complicated.

Duplicate Title Form:

Q:I’m donating the vehicle on behalf of Deceased loved one, what do I need to provide?

A:If there is a sole owner on the Title, and it is considered a non-probate, then a Certification from Heir form TR-29 has to be completed with heir signed on the Title. The heir must also provide a copy of the Death Certificate. Also, the TR-29 form must be signed twice.

Dual owner with “or” between names on Title, then survivor signs and provides a copy of the Death Certificate.

Dual owner with “and” between names with JTWROS (Joint Tenants with Right of Survivorship) listed on Title, then survivor signs and provides a copy of the Death Certificate, probated or not. All other probated situations need court documents. Certification from Heir TR-29 required. TR-29 must be signed twice as well.

In “Full Rights to Survivor” situation; Next of kin needs to sign the Title, fill out the Certificate from Heir TR-29 form, and provide a copy of the Death Certificate. TR-29 must be signed twice.

Q:How do I release the liability and what do I do with my plates?

A:In the state of Michigan there is no release of liability form, and due to this we recommend the donor removes the license plates and registration sticks for future liability purposes.

Q:Will you take a vehicle that has mechanical problems?

A:Vehicles are reviewed and sent to a processing partner, however if we are unable to find a buyer for the vehicle, we will have to unfortunately decline the donation.

*Boats, RV’s, ATV, Campers or industrial equipment are taken on a case by case basis*

Click here to go back to our Title FAQ or call our Title Department at 1-855-492-9474

Excellent 9.3 out of 10
CDF also runs the following programs:
Wheels for Wishes benefiting Make-A-Wish®, Wheels for Wishes & Wellness benefiting local children's hospitals and charities, Vehicles for Veterans benefiting disabled veterans.

Read More
CDF's mission is to help these benefitting charities fulfill their missions with proceeds from CDF's car donation programs. CDF and all benefitting charities are separate and unaffiliated 501c organizations.
© 2009 - 2021 Wheels For Wishes (Car Donation Foundation)
A federally registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization