Wheels For Wishes Home

Hawaii Vehicle Donation Title Questions and Helpful Information

Click here to donate a car in Hawaii, benefiting Make-A-Wish kids!


Vehicle owners in Hawaii are required by law (Section 286-52, Hawaii Revised Statutes) to notify the Division of Motor Vehicle, Licensing and Permits in their county within 10 days when they sell or otherwise dispose of a vehicle. When the Notice of Transfer is recorded by the Division of Motor Vehicle, Licensing and Permits, liability for parking and/or traffic violations and civil litigation resulting from operation after the date of sale becomes the responsibility of the subsequent purchaser(s).

WEBSITE: https://www.honolulu.gov/rep/site/csd/onlineforms/cslmvr53.pdf
OTHER: This is an online fillable pdf form that needs to be completed, printed and mailed or turned in.


Q:Where do I sign the Title?

A:On the back of the Title please sign where it reads name of Seller Print and “Signature of Seller(s).

Hawaii Title Example

Q:I paid off my car but there is still a lienholder listed?

The lienholder should have provided a Lien Release or completed the Lien Release section on Title when it was paid off. If a Lien Release is required please contact your financial institution. We will request one if necessary directly from the bank or other financial institution on your behalf but may need a written authorization and copy of your driver’s license.

Q:What do I put down for the Buyer?

A:We prefer it be left blank along with the odometer reading as the processing partner will record the exact reading at time of processing and handle the buyer and dealer license information.

Information that is provided by the processing partner may be put in the buyer section.

Q:Can I still donate if I can’t find my Title?

A:We will still attempt to process your donation without the title, though the process may be a bit more complicated.

Duplicate Title Application:

Q:I’m donating the vehicle on behalf of Deceased loved one, what do I need to provide?

A:You will need a certified copy of the death certificate and an Affidavit from the probate court for the spouse or next of kin. If it is in probate a certified copy of death certificate and a notarized probate document is required. The executor or next of kin would sign the Title.

Q:What do I do with my plates?

A:You are not required to surrender your plates in most cases to the Department of Motor Vehicles office. You should ask them what to do with your plates. It is highly recommend that they are removed as it will release your liability from any future citations.

Q:Will you take a vehicle that has mechanical problems?

A:Vehicles are reviewed and sent to a processing partner, however if we are unable to find a buyer for the vehicle, we will have to unfortunately decline the donation.

*Boats, RV’s, ATV, Campers or industrial equipment are taken on a case by case basis*

Click here to go back to our Title FAQ or call our Title Department at 1-855-492-9474

Check out our guide for all 50 states on if you can donate your car with no title.

Excellent 9.3 out of 10
CDF also runs the following programs:
Wheels for Wishes benefiting Make-A-Wish®, Wheels for Wishes & Wellness benefiting local children's hospitals and charities, Vehicles for Veterans benefiting disabled veterans, and Animal Car Donation benefiting animal rescue organizations.

Read More
CDF's mission is to help these benefitting charities fulfill their missions with proceeds from CDF's car donation programs. CDF and all benefitting charities are separate and unaffiliated 501c organizations.
© 2009 - 2024 Wheels For Wishes (Car Donation Foundation)
A federally registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization