We're still accepting vehicle donations, but subject to change if necessary.
See our COVID-19 FAQ

North Carolina Vehicle Donation Title Questions and Helpful Information

Q:Where do I sign the Title?

A:On the back of the Title please sign in the Seller section where it reads “Seller’s Signature” and next to that where it reads “Seller’s Print Name” only. The Title does have to get Notarized by a Notary before filing out any information on the Title.

North Carolina Title Example

Q:I paid off my car but there is still a lienholder listed?

The lienholder should have provided a Lien Release or completed the Lien Release section on Title when it was paid off. If a Lien Release is required please contact your financial institution. We will request one if necessary directly from the bank or other financial institution on your behalf but may need a written authorization and copy of your driver’s license.

Q:What do I put down for the Buyer?

A:We prefer it be left blank along with the odometer reading as the processing partner will record the exact reading at time of processing and handle the buyer and dealer license information.

Information that is provided by the processing partner may be put in the buyer section.

Q:Can I still donate if I can’t find my Title?

A:We will still attempt to process your donation without the title, though the process may be a bit more complicated.

How to Obtain a Duplicate Title:

Q:I’m donating the vehicle on behalf of Deceased loved one, what do I need to provide?

A:Joint Tenants with Right of Survivorship requires Death Certificate and signature of surviving spouse / kin.

If probated, need Letters of Testamentary and title signed by executor.

No probate requires Death Certificate, release from next of kin Form 317, and signed title by appointed.

Q:How do I release the liability and what do I do with my plates?

A:In order to release liability in the state of North Carolina, the donor will have to remove the vehicle’s license plates and return them to the Vehicle and License Plate Renewal office if not transferred to another owned vehicle. Plates must be returned before cancelling liability insurance, and the donor is responsible for maintaining insurance until the plates are surrendered and he or she has received a receipt.

Q:Will you take a vehicle that has mechanical problems?

A:Vehicles are reviewed and sent to a processing partner, however if we are unable to find a buyer for the vehicle, we will have to unfortunately decline the donation.

*Boats, RV’s, ATV, Campers or industrial equipment are taken on a case by case basis*

Click here to go back to our Title FAQ or call our Title Department at 1-855-492-9474