Wheels For Wishes Home

Virginia Vehicle Donation Title Questions and Helpful Information

Click here to donate a car in Virginia, benefiting Make-A-Wish kids!

Q:Where do I sign the Title?

A:On the front of the Title, please sign in Box A where is reads, “Signature of Sellers” and, “Printed Name of Sellers”.

Virginia Title Example

Q:I paid off my car but there is still a lienholder listed?

The lienholder should have provided a Lien Release or completed the Lien Release section on Title when it was paid off. If a Lien Release is required please contact your financial institution. We will request one if necessary directly from the bank or other financial institution on your behalf but may need a written authorization and copy of your driver’s license.

Q:What do I put down for the Buyer?

A:We prefer it be left blank along with the odometer reading as the processing partner will record the exact reading at time of processing and handle the buyer and dealer license information.

Information that is provided by the processing partner may be put in the buyer section.

Q:Can I still donate if I can’t find my Title?

A:We will still attempt to process your donation without the title, though the process may be a bit more complicated.

Duplicate Title Online Process:

Q:I’m donating the vehicle on behalf of Deceased loved one, what do I need to provide?

A:Joint Tenants with Right of Survivorship (JTWROS) – A copy of the Death Certificate and original title signed by survivor is required.

Tenancy in Common (“and” ownership) – Through the Court, the executor may complete transfer with Letters of Administration or Testamentary and assigned title. Copies are acceptable.

If no qualification is made, the assignment may be made by an Affidavit of Authority to Assign the Title” Form VSA-24.

Q:How do I release the liability and what do I do with my plates?

A:In the state of Virginia, the donor will release liability by completing the Notice of Transfer. By completing this form, the donor is notifying the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles that the vehicle has been given or sold to another party. This may be accomplished by going online, visiting a customer service center or contacting the DMV by phone.

To pull up the form, in the search bar type “Donating a vehicle,” then click on the link that says, “Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.” You will then be taken to a page titled “Selling/Donating A Vehicle.” Once on this page go to #4 and click “Notify Us Now,” and go through the process of releasing the liability.

Also, the donor will have remove Virginia license plates prior to donation and contact their DMV for instructions regarding the disposal process.

Q:Will you take a vehicle that has mechanical problems?

A:Vehicles are reviewed and sent to a processing partner, however if we are unable to find a buyer for the vehicle, we will have to unfortunately decline the donation.

*Boats, RV’s, ATV, Campers or industrial equipment are taken on a case by case basis*

Click here to go back to our Title FAQ or call our Title Department at 1-855-492-9474

Check out our guide for all 50 states on if you can donate your car with no title.

Excellent 9.3 out of 10
CDF also runs the following programs:
Wheels for Wishes benefiting Make-A-Wish®, Wheels for Wishes & Wellness benefiting local children's hospitals and charities, Vehicles for Veterans benefiting disabled veterans, and Animal Car Donation benefiting animal rescue organizations.

Read More
CDF's mission is to help these benefitting charities fulfill their missions with proceeds from CDF's car donation programs. CDF and all benefitting charities are separate and unaffiliated 501c organizations.
© 2009 - 2024 Wheels For Wishes (Car Donation Foundation)
A federally registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization