Wheels For Wishes Home

Colorado Vehicle Donation Title Questions and Helpful Information

Click here to donate a car in Colorado, benefiting Make-A-Wish kids!

Q:Where do I sign the Title?

A:On the back of the Title please sign where it reads “of Seller(s) signature” and Seller(s) printed name.

Colorado Title Example

Q:I paid off my car but there is still a lienholder listed?

The lienholder should have provided a Lien Release or completed the Lien Release section on the Title when it was paid off. If a Lien Release is required please contact your financial institution. We will request one if necessary directly from the bank or other financial institution on your behalf, but may need a written authorization and a copy of your driver’s license.

Q:What do I put down for the Buyer?

A:We prefer it be left blank along with the odometer reading as the processing partner will record the exact reading at time of processing and handle the buyer and dealer license information.

Information that is provided by the processing partner may be put in the buyer section.

Q:Can I still donate if I can’t find my Title?

A:We will still attempt to process your donation without the title, though the process may be a bit more complicated.

Q:I’m donating the vehicle on behalf of Deceased loved one, what do I need to provide?

A:If it is a joint Tenancy the one owner is deceased, a certified copy of the death certificate is required and a secure Power of Attorney signed by the surviving owner. A notarized DLR Transfer upon Death form must be completed by the beneficiary.

A certified copy of the death certificate is required, executor papers. The executor would sign the Title in the Seller Section. If no executor you will need a “Small Estates Affidavit” for estates under $50,000.00 or a copy of the Letter of Testamentary for estates over $50,000.00 and the Title would be signed by the next of kin appointed.

Q:How do I release the liability and what do I do with my plates?

A:Colorado has no Seller’s Report of Sale or Release from Liability forms. Due to this you should contact your local DMV regarding surrendering the plates, as the requirement varies based on if plates are personalized or not. You can voluntarily surrender the plates and the DMV will recycle them.

Q:Will you take a vehicle that has mechanical problems?

A:Vehicles are reviewed and sent to a processing partner, however if we are unable to find a buyer for the vehicle, we will have to unfortunately decline the donation.

*Boats, RV’s, ATV, Campers or industrial equipment are taken on a case by case basis*

Click here to go back to our Title FAQ or call our Title Department at 1-855-492-9474

Check out our guide for all 50 states on if you can donate your car with no title.

Excellent 9.3 out of 10
CDF also runs the following programs:
Wheels for Wishes benefiting Make-A-Wish®, Wheels for Wishes & Wellness benefiting local children's hospitals and charities, Vehicles for Veterans benefiting disabled veterans, and Animal Car Donation benefiting animal rescue organizations.

Read More
CDF's mission is to help these benefitting charities fulfill their missions with proceeds from CDF's car donation programs. CDF and all benefitting charities are separate and unaffiliated 501c organizations.
© 2009 - 2024 Wheels For Wishes (Car Donation Foundation)
A federally registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization