Downsize To Become A One Car Family
Are you considering becoming a one car family? Downsizing to one car has a long list of benefits. It can save your family a lot of money every year. It also comes with challenges. That’s why we’ve come up with a list of tips and benefits to help you make your decision.
Tips For Becoming One Car Family
Downsizing to one car can be hard, but the benefits are great! There are many car alternatives. Rather than just trying one of the following tips, it might be best to do a mixture of all:
- Plan ahead. The best way to avoid conflicts with one car is to plan. Before the week starts, think of all the things for which your family will need the car. Craft a plan of who is driving when, and try to satisfy all the driving needs of the week.
- Ride together. If you’re going in the same direction, ride together—especially if your schedules line up. It’s a no brainer to save money this way!
- Carpool! Joining a carpool is a great way to commute with people who are already going there. If driving with your family during the week doesn’t make practical sense, this is a good option.
- For shorter commutes, consider walking or biking! Even if it’s just a couple days a week while the weather permits, this can greatly help your one car situation. It adds flexibility to reduce stress from a potentially tight schedule.
- Ride public transportation. If you have a good public transportation network close to home, this adds even more flexibility for your one car family. In some cases, you can cut your commute in half by taking a park and ride to work, while the other person takes the car from there. Again, even if you just use this option occasionally, it helps ease the tightness of your schedule.
- If you have the option, working from home is another way to help your one car plan. On occasional days when you can’t get the system to work, it’s good to have that option.
- Be flexible. Sometimes, unforeseen or unplanned things will happen. When plans fall through, try to lean on one of the options above. If none of them work, know that you’re saving a lot of money every year by downsizing to one car. Perhaps this one time you can call a cab or use a ride sharing app.
Benefits Of Downsizing To One Car
- Save money! Calculate how much money you spend on insurance every year for your extra vehicle. A lot, right? Now do the same for gas. Now calculate how much maintenance costs for a year. What about parking? If you have a car loan payment, add that as well. Combine all those numbers, and you’ll find massive annual savings for your family. According to AAA, car ownership costs $8,469 a year, and that doesn’t include loan payments!
- Save the environment. One less car on the road reduces your carbon footprint. Carpooling, taking public transportation, walking and biking are all better for the environment.
- Get closer as a family. Having one car will likely mean more car rides together. You may have to drive longer or wait occasionally, but the extra time you will get with your family can be worth it! This is especially true if you make the most of the time with new traditions, like games!
- It’s good exercise. If you opt to occasionally get to places by biking or walking, it can be great exercise! Exercise can be easier to stick with if it’s practical. Biking to work or to get groceries, for example, would be a work out replacement while getting something done!
What To Do With Your Extra Vehicle
You’ve decided to downsize to one car. What do you do with your extra vehicle? How do you know if you’re getting the most value out of it? Here are a few options of what you can do with your unwanted car:
- Sell it? Selling your car can be a hassle. It requires posting ads and haggling over price. Selling it yourself can take a lot of effort. Selling it through a dealer pays less than selling direct. Neither option tends to get you the fair value of your vehicle.
- Store it? Storing your vehicle can save you money on insurance, but it wastes space! It takes up precious real estate in your driveway or garage. Meanwhile, it’s value doesn’t go up. That’s especially true if you don’t take the time and effort to maintain it.
- Donate it! Donating your car to Wheels For Wishes gets the most value out of your vehicle. The proceeds from your donation benefit your local chapter of Make-A-Wish. Kids facing critical illnesses will receive a life-changing wish! You will receive a 100 percent tax-deductible receipt. It really pays to donate! Plus, we make the whole process fast and easy. That includes free towing that comes to you! Donate today by calling 1-877-431-9474 or fill out an online donation form.