How To Donate A Piano
What do you do with an old piano? Pianos can take up large spaces and are often too heavy to move. Because pianos are such a unique item, donating them can be complicated. Although Wheels For Wishes does not accept piano donations, piano donation is a great way to get rid of an unwanted piano! Below are some helpful tips to get started.
1. Determine Your Piano’s Condition
Most organizations that accept piano donations have standards for what they can accept. Most organizations will talk with you to assess if your piano is in good enough condition to donate. Most of the time, you won’t have luck donating a piano in poor condition.
2. Choose Where To Donate Your Piano
Who will accept a piano donation? How do you give away a piano? Here are a few options that may be available for your piano donation:
- The Beethoven Foundation accepts piano donations depending on condition of the piano. If your donation is accepted, they pick up your piano for free. Plus, you get a receipt with your donation for a tax deduction.
- Pianos for Education will pick up a piano in all 50 states for free. Again, it depends on the piano’s condition. Their representatives will help determine if they can accept your donation. Donations are tax-deductible.
- Check your local options. You may not get a tax receipt, but giving away your piano for free online is often a good option. If you don’t want a piano, it can be a cost to you to dispose of it or to store it. Local people may be willing to take it off your hands or even pick it up. It’s also worth calling your local thrift stores, schools, theaters or youth organizations to see if they would accept a free piano.
That’s it! After that, you will either deliver your donation or wait for it to be picked up. Then, you can enjoy your tax deduction and/or your free space. Have more questions? Here’s some answers to common piano donation questions:
Can You Donate A Piano To Goodwill?
It depends! Goodwill’s website doesn’t specifically forbid piano donations. They accept large new or gently used items. Call your local Goodwill to see if that specific store will accept your piano. You will need to arrange its transportation and drop it off if they accept it.
How Much Does It Cost To Get Rid Of A Piano?
It can cost between $200 and $300 to get rid of a piano. That factors in the difficulty of moving it out of your home. Ultimately, if your piano can be donated, sold or given away, you should. It makes the most financial sense.
Can You Take A Piano To The Dump?
Call ahead to your local dump to see if it’s OK to bring your piano. If you can move and transport the piano yourself, it may be your only option. This is often the case for pianos in too poor condition to donate.
Are Old Pianos Worth Anything?
Age doesn’t factor in much with the worth of pianos. In fact, really old pianos can have added value. It all depends on condition. If you maintained your pianos condition, they can even get better with age.
Free Up Space In Your Garage Too!
You’ve just donated your piano, and you’re happy with all your free space! Now, you can do the same for your driveway or garage! Car donation to Wheels For Wishes is a great option for you. We come to you with free pick up, and you get a 100 percent tax deductible receipt. Plus, we accept almost all vehicles, running or not. Call 1-855-278-9474 to donate to Wheels For Wishes today!